Play Legend of the Green Dragon Play BNT Play Promisance Play Alien Assault Traders Play Quantum Star Play Some Chess  
   D3jsp RPGRPG   ArcadeArcade   Multiplayer PokerD3Jsp Poker   FAQ/RulesFAQ/Rules  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ChatroomLive Chat   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

To rep or not to rep
1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic  Reply to topic  d3jsp Forum Index -> Rules, Support, and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic ::  

Sensei

Group: Members
Gold: 83.70

fr.gif

Warn:

Post#1 Posted: 08 May 2012 09:56 am    Post subject: To rep or not to rep Reply with quote

So i'm proposing to modify the rep system. Please take also time to check the latests posts, thanks.

I've seen some ideas, crossing the forums, and i've mixed them with some of mines.
Here we go.

For scammers on this site it's easy to get a lot of rep with their loads of multi.
Rep for rep, seems to be even often asked (readed that in some scammer complaint, and others parts of forums). Asking for a rep after a good trade, really usefull comment should not be allowed.
It must be a "reward'.

So it would be nice to modify the attribution rep system and give more conditions :

- Raise the post count needed to 250+
- Be active member for over 2 months (or more ?) That doesn't mean being subscribed to the site 2 months or more, it's being active. You'll have to post at least 1 message / day for 1- 2 months (31 - 61 days).
Unless this condition is not obtained you cannot give any rep points.
- Also you could not rep user that have no rights to rep.

The conditions should seems rude (or not enough, discuss about it), but it can be revised, and well that could help reduce (even a bit).
the percentage of scams. Why ? Cause making multi will be getting boring.

Edit : added Tylr proposal too :
"Maybe we should add a required thread link to them"

Ref wrote:
it is already at 50 post, min req since the forums are not sooo active, it is hard to get to tht 50 post mark

Nope it's not sir :/
Looking to dest, trollnest and so much others multi's done since i've made this topic,
Lots of them have made 50+ posts in the half day they did join the site ohmy

Last edited by Sensei on 16 Jun 2012 04:05 am; edited 3 times in total

Gold: 354.20
Clan: Honor

Warn:

Post#2 Posted: 08 May 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reputation system certainly needs to be reworked but I disagree on the suggested changes:
- Fakereps from new members are easy to detect if the user has some degree of intellect...
- The amount of active users on this site is low. Most people only come to buy/sell fg.

I think there is a fundamental problem with how the reputation is given by older members. Take the user Crai for example.
http://www.d3jsp.org/profile.php?mode=reputation&u=3513

A known scammer that is given reps by half the staff/retired staff team? If you read them it's obvious none of them comes from trades. Most likely given because he joined their guild or was being nice in chat or smt.
With so many staff members stating what a nice person he is it isn't surprising new members get tricked into trading with him.

I think old members on this site, especially staff, needs to be more careful with whom they give reputation. It should only be given after trades/helping etc.
Sensei

fr.gif

Warn:

Post#3 Posted: 08 May 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingButaPeanut wrote:
The reputation system certainly needs to be reworked but I disagree on the suggested changes:
- Fakereps from new members are easy to detect if the user has some degree of intellect...
- The amount of active users on this site is low. Most people only come to buy/sell fg.

- You're right, intellect is needed, but some people are not that hard to convice. Regarding this proposal, i assume that i could even lost my reps and maybe my right of repping.

- Yay, there aren't that much active (and "real") users. I've suggested this to reduce scammers' multi
to spam the forums untill they passed to scam someone. So if that could help to limit the number of users, that could help a lot.
You would ask me why ?
Because, else scammers will be really motivate or else only people interresting in getting trades well done, will stay up on there.

Group: Scammer
Gold: Locked

Warn:

<b><font color=red>Scammer</font></b>

Post#4 Posted: 08 May 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is already at 50 post, min req since the forums are not sooo active, it is hard to get to tht 50 post mark
it is veryy ez to spot a scammer if u check there is small page looking icon near ur rep as references, if there is no reference obv most of them are fake reps
i aggree no one should rep u, unless u make a trade, not for join clan, not for using his PICS/Sig/Banners he Made.

& if someone is asking for a fake rep report it asap, 99% possible scammers
Sensei

fr.gif

Warn:

Post#5 Posted: 08 May 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref wrote:
it is veryy ez to spot a scammer if u check there is small page looking icon near ur rep as references, if there is no reference obv most of them are fake reps
i aggree no one should rep u, unless u make a trade, not for join clan, not for using his PICS/Sig/Banners he Made.

oh well my bad i was thinking it was 25 posts, nvm.

Hmm i could agree at 50% with how to figure out a fake rep point.
For example, let's take the case of 3 users.

The user A is an honnest user (that should exist), who just get his right to rep other users with whom he did traded succesfully earlier. This user don't have all cards in his hand, he's not comfortable with all functions of the site, and unfortunately he will forget to add the post reference.

The user B is a scammer (multi or whatever you want), know almost all "strategy" to input himself reps points without getting catch. He will obviously add the post reference of the trade, even if it was between 2 of his numerous multi.

How can you be sure which rep is false ? (non-knowing A is legit and B is scammer of course).

And making 50 posts in a few days should not be that hard i guess. You post 3 differents threads in S&T, you bump them every 2 hours, 4 times each, you 12 posts.
You post 2 posts in general chat.
You answer to all "Hi i'm new" + post one.

That's why i think to input the fact of being a minimum active should be neccessary to use & get "benefits" from the rep system.

I don't tell you that scammers will stop make multi, but that will make the task harder.

Warn:

Post#6 Posted: 08 May 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noob scammers are the ones that make tons of multies and rep himself. Occasionally they are lucky and scam a new member for a lot but usually they get detected and banned quite fast.
Perhaps they manage to pull of some small scam first.

The more dangerous type of scammers are the ones that creates one account and then use it actively for a time. They do some trades, befriend staff etc and then pull off a monster scam.
Stopping the 2nd type is a lot harder.
Tylr

Gold: 48.30
Clan: COME AT ME BRO

Warn:

Post#7 Posted: 08 May 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref wrote:

That's a good reason for raising it.
It's inactive because people have no incentive to post anywhere besides Selling & Trading.

@OP - Ehhhhhhhh, I'm all for changing some rep junk, but I don't see the Join date requirement happening.
The post requirement can be changed easily though.

Sensei

fr.gif

Warn:

Post#8 Posted: 08 May 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tylr wrote:
@OP - Ehhhhhhhh, I'm all for changing some rep junk, but I don't see the Join date requirement happening.

Yep.
To code this, it won't be as easy as it appears when you can read my suggestion thread.
It'll need some advanced PHP coding lines mixed with another coding language (Java or so).
That won't be a pleasure time for the webmaster but it could be really usefull.

Donor:
Gold: 7.01

Warn:

Post#9 Posted: 08 May 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i never linked post reference in my reps ... when i rep i click on the pm and give rep ...
and for same scammers ... maybe if we all email paypal when scammers chargeback they will suspend their account ? ..
maybe you can put requierement to be able to post in selling trading .... ? ( having a verified paypal ? ps ? or any other payment method ? we must verify it with a moderator and they grant us access )

Last edited by Korky on 08 May 2012 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sensei

fr.gif

Warn:

Post#10 Posted: 08 May 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PoLoLo wrote:
i think i never linked post reference in my reps ... when i rep i click on the pm and give rep ...
and for same scammers ... maybe if we all email paypal when scammers chargeback they will suspend their account ? ..

Hmm, i think they'll make a new paypal account as soon as they can.
That will only take them around one week to claim it to be verified.

And if i'm right, paypal does not really support intangible item trades ?
I think i've readen this somewhere on paypal site, not 100 % sure, maybe it comes from my
half frozen brain. wacko

Last edited by Sensei on 08 May 2012 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donor:
Gold: 7.01

Warn:

Post#11 Posted: 08 May 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:
PoLoLo wrote:

Hmm, i think they'll make a new paypal account as soon as they can.
That will only take them around one week to claim it to be verified.

And if i'm right, paypal does not really support intangible item trades ?
I think i've readen this somewhere on paypal site, not 100 % sure, maybe it comes from my
half frozen brain. wacko

if all email paypal about the same users ... paypal will do something ..
NothingButaPeanut

Warn:

Post#12 Posted: 08 May 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:
Tylr wrote:

Yep.
To code this, it won't be as easy as it appears when you can read my suggestion thread.
It'll need some advanced PHP coding lines mixed with another coding language (Java or so).

It shouldn't be that hard to code. A single for loop checking the last 60 days for posts is one solution. Quite ugly and would require a lot of database calls so it wouldn't be very effective though:P You can probably select and group by date as well and then see if it returns 60 rows. Was some time ago since i worked with sql.

Not saying I like the idea btw:p
Sensei

fr.gif

Warn:

Post#13 Posted: 08 May 2012 01:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if you goes that way it's not that hard to code it.
But i had in mind 60 posts in 60 differents days.
Cause if you do let's say 55 day to day post without any oblivion, and then you forget one
or you have internet trouble and can't connect, even with load of motivate, not sure you'll
try it again, and that won't be right in the end.

Well last time i did coded something we were using html 4.0, so maybe it's a bit easier nowadays :p

Warn:

Post#14 Posted: 08 May 2012 01:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's how you meant it's even simpler.. Just select the posts and group by day:P
Easily done with php and mysql really....

Then again im not familiar with phpBB. Not sure how easy it is to configure.

I like the idea btw. Spamming the forum to give reps would no longer work. It would take 60 days.
But in the end I'm not sure how much it would help really. Like I said, main problem is elsewhere.
Sensei

fr.gif

Warn:

Post#15 Posted: 08 May 2012 01:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i've thinked about it (think in french, was easier than in english finally briggrin ).

Yes the problem is not there, but hope it could put a certain cooldown on scammers new multi's waves.
They should be 2 options that could do the job :
- Linking your paypal account when you subscribe.
- Use a special cookie which will find information about you, so whenever you'll try to make a multi, the cookie could reccord that.

Personnally i'm against this kind of proceed, even if that could be the only solution.

Anyways maybe something can be worked out from my suggestion (the ones in 1st post derisive )
They can be completed, improved by others users' ideas.
Hope it just can open some doors.

Tylr

Warn:

Post#16 Posted: 08 May 2012 02:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NothingButaPeanut wrote:
Sensei wrote:
Tylr wrote:

Yep.

It shouldn't be that hard to code. A single for loop checking the last 60 days for posts is one solution. Quite ugly and would require a lot of database calls so it wouldn't be very effective though:P You can probably select and group by date as well and then see if it returns 60 rows. Was some time ago since i worked with sql.

Not saying I like the idea btw:p

On some previous phpbb forums I've had ACP access to, there is a default croup called "New users" or "New members" or something like that. Once a user posts a certain amount of posts, that group is removed and the user was automatically put into members. I think if that is the case, this addition would be simply to put on the site. But I don't know if that's the case with this forum, seeing as it runs on Phpbb 2

Dnote
Mayor Dnote

Group: Mayor
Donor:
Gold: 16.90
Clan: Epic Clan Name

zi.gif

Warn:

Post#17 Posted: 08 May 2012 02:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you ask me rep needs more req.

if anything it would raise activity, people need to post and trade and be seen behaving in a gm fashion to acquire rep.
with rep harder to get, it would make it more "valuable" for trading purpose.
if something is more valuable, people are more apt to work harder for it.

it certainly wouldn't drive people away.... "oh i need 150 post and a member for 2 months before i can rep? fuck that im leaving".... i think not...
but be able to receive rep with any status.
so new commers, how are looking to trade and go first can get repped for good trading.

PoLoLo wrote:
maybe you can put requierement to be able to post in selling trading .... ? ( having a verified paypal ? ps ? or any other payment method ? we must verify it with a moderator and they grant us access )

certainly not verified paypal, as there is various ways of trading, not only paypal.

however, you might be on to something.

if you make a post count, or member for so long, or something of the sort requirement to post in selling and trading it might force people to become active in the other sub forums to meet the requirements to post in S&T.

or it could push them away.

I still think the best change for rep right now would be to raise post count to at least 100, even 150 or 200.
They have to be a member for at least 2 months before they can hand out reps, however they can receive them at any time.
I think this would also help with the rep 4 rep problem.

Last edited by Dnote on 08 May 2012 02:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

"I AM THE GUITAR TUNED IN D HAMMERING AWAY ONE NOTE." ~ GiantBob
Tylr

Warn:

Post#18 Posted: 08 May 2012 02:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 2 months is a little to long for handing them out.
Maybe like..a month at max
Maybe I'm just too lenient lol.

Sensei

fr.gif

Warn:

Post#19 Posted: 08 May 2012 04:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well a month should allready be a long time, in my opinion.
But as i writted on previous posts.
It's not hard to make much post a day.
They could easily do the 100- 150 - 200 posts in a few day (even one single day, seems unbelievable, but on d2jsp they were some spammers with high post counts and hig ppd).
And then they could just let this account run for a month, while they are working on the 2nd one, then the 3rd etc...

Last edited by Sensei on 08 May 2012 04:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mayor Dnote

Group: Mayor
Donor:
Gold: 16.90
Clan: Epic Clan Name

zi.gif

Warn:

Post#20 Posted: 08 May 2012 08:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei wrote:
Well a month should allready be a long time, in my opinion.
But as i writted on previous posts.
It's not hard to make much post a day.
They could easily do the 100- 150 - 200 posts in a few day (even one single day, seems unbelievable, but on d2jsp they were some spammers with high post counts and hig ppd).
And then they could just let this account run for a month, while they are working on the 2nd one, then the 3rd etc...

much less likely then with 50.
2 months prolly is too long, but 1 month seems good.

Last edited by Dnote on 08 May 2012 08:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

"I AM THE GUITAR TUNED IN D HAMMERING AWAY ONE NOTE." ~ GiantBob
1 Members: Guest
Post new topic  Reply to topic  d3jsp Forum Index -> Rules, Support, and Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: