Play Legend of the Green Dragon Play BNT Play Promisance Play Alien Assault Traders Play Quantum Star Play Some Chess  
   D3jsp RPGRPG   ArcadeArcade   Multiplayer PokerD3Jsp Poker   FAQ/RulesFAQ/Rules  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ChatroomLive Chat   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Snowball Earth?

View previous topic :: View next topic ::  

the_pillo
The Magnificent

Group: Verified Member
Donor:
Gold: 0.00
Clan: Honor

us.gif

Warn:

Post#1 Posted: 27 Jul 2009 03:07 am    Post subject: Snowball Earth? Reply with quote

Just recently i watched a special on the history channel and i feel as though it is controversial since it is just a theory. I will give a brief background then i will give my opinion.

OK, The theory is:

approximately 600 million years ago there was an ice age, noone is disputing that. The theory being presented is that the ENTIRE earth was covered by ice, a theory previously laughed at because scientists believed because of the suns radiant heat on the equator of the earth that the tropics located near the equator never froze. Yet resent evidence shows that drop stones(stones dropped by glaciers formed in the artic) have been found in the tropics. This opens the idea that the earth could become completely frozen. This causes a problem because under these conditions the whiteness of the snow reflects the heat from the sun back. Causing the earth to freeze even more. Therefore this "snowball earth" theory states that the earth can literally freeze itself solid, never to unthaw.
according to scientists that believe in the snowball earth, the only thing that brought us out of the ice age was a combination of volcanic activity and geothermic activity.

Now my question to you is. Is it possible that with the recent changes in the weather systems and jetstream currents that we could slip into this snowball earth scenario. or do you feel that the earth was never completely covered?

my opinion is:
While the volcanic activity could indeed heat the earth a little. the sheer fact that it is isolated areas of heat would bring rise to the challenge that if the earth is cold enough to freeze the oceans that it could then cool the volcanic activity rather quickly. Therefore i believe that the earth was a snowball during the ice age but that some form of cosmic interference caused the planet to swing into a warmer repetition. I believe there was some form of collision that was large enough to throw enough gas and heat in the air to start the process. then once the atmosphere was warming, the volcanic/geothermic activity would then have an impact.

what is your opinion?

please only valid arguements, or comments.

Happiness is a disease, and smiling is the cough that spreads it - pillo-

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Naitto.x

Group: Members
Gold: 0.51

us.gif

Warn:

Post#2 Posted: 18 Aug 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't explain my opinion really scientific like, but I know that earth has a chance of that happening again, and that that happened once already.
Your Worst Fears Come True

Group: Retired Moderators
Donor:
Gold: 207.75
Clan: HoD II

Warn:

Retired Moderators

Post#3 Posted: 18 Aug 2009 04:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm thinking is that the global warming might have an opposite effect later- meaning that there might yet be an era where the whole earth freezes/ then just unfreezes. Though none of us will of course know about it sad

Donor:
Clan: Elite

Warn:

Post#4 Posted: 19 Aug 2009 05:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Snowball Earth? Reply with quote

the_pillo wrote:
Just recently i watched a special on the history channel and i feel as though it is controversial since it is just a theory. I will give a brief background then i will give my opinion.

OK, The theory is:

approximately 600 million years ago there was an ice age, noone is disputing that. The theory being presented is that the ENTIRE earth was covered by ice, a theory previously laughed at because scientists believed because of the suns radiant heat on the equator of the earth that the tropics located near the equator never froze. Yet resent evidence shows that drop stones(stones dropped by glaciers formed in the artic) have been found in the tropics. This opens the idea that the earth could become completely frozen. This causes a problem because under these conditions the whiteness of the snow reflects the heat from the sun back. Causing the earth to freeze even more. Therefore this "snowball earth" theory states that the earth can literally freeze itself solid, never to unthaw.
according to scientists that believe in the snowball earth, the only thing that brought us out of the ice age was a combination of volcanic activity and geothermic activity.

Now my question to you is. Is it possible that with the recent changes in the weather systems and jetstream currents that we could slip into this snowball earth scenario. or do you feel that the earth was never completely covered?

my opinion is:
While the volcanic activity could indeed heat the earth a little. the sheer fact that it is isolated areas of heat would bring rise to the challenge that if the earth is cold enough to freeze the oceans that it could then cool the volcanic activity rather quickly. Therefore i believe that the earth was a snowball during the ice age but that some form of cosmic interference caused the planet to swing into a warmer repetition. I believe there was some form of collision that was large enough to throw enough gas and heat in the air to start the process. then once the atmosphere was warming, the volcanic/geothermic activity would then have an impact.

what is your opinion?

please only valid arguements, or comments.

The earth will never be a snowball ofc. smile
The people living on the earth will find a way to protect the earth for her self-destruction.
Naitto.x

Gold: 0.51

us.gif

Warn:

Post#5 Posted: 29 Aug 2009 01:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it does happen... NO SCHOOL briggrin

Group: Banned
Gold: 63.50

us.gif

Warn: Banned

Banned

Post#6 Posted: 31 Aug 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would u believe that
GodSvS

us.gif

Warn:

Post#7 Posted: 15 Jan 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol hell yeah!
I kind of wish this would happen.
briggrin

Last edited by GodSvS on 15 Jan 2010 10:39 am; edited 2 times in total

#1 SvS
GodSvS - Level 97 ES FB Sorceress
1600 Life/6000 Mana/105 Fcr/86 Fhr/20k Damage
the_pillo
The Magnificent

Donor:

us.gif

Warn:

Post#8 Posted: 15 Jan 2010 06:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GodSvS wrote:
Lol hell yeah!
I kind of wish this would happen.
briggrin

it would suck because it would be magnified from the wonderful pollution of the era. so it could become an even bigger thing. making earth a permanent snowball

Acclaimed wrote:
Why would u believe that

Because i am open to new ideas based on scientific evidence and i am not a closed minded religious zealot.

"When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Braindead
Swedish guy

Group: Graphics Artist
Donor:
Gold: 4735.50
Clan: Truth

sw.gif

Warn:

Graphics Artist

Post#9 Posted: 15 Jan 2010 08:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can recall of geography class, volcanic activity is and has been decreasing over time, rotation of earth is slowing, it's gaining weight and it's creeping closer towards the sun. Am I right?

NO YOU
the_pillo
The Magnificent

Donor:

us.gif

Warn:

Post#10 Posted: 15 Jan 2010 08:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braindead wrote:
From what I can recall of geography class, volcanic activity is and has been decreasing over time, rotation of earth is slowing, it's gaining weight and it's creeping closer towards the sun. Am I right?

I cant verify the gaining weight but the volcanic activity is slowing, but the issue is. only the super volcanoes are staying very active. such as yellowstone and mt st helen. not to mention there was recently a volcano opened a fissure in the earth.

Schoolhacker

Group: Senior Moderator
Gold: 935.14

ca.gif

Warn:

<b><font color=Blue>Senior Moderator</font></b>

Post#11 Posted: 15 Jan 2010 09:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITS DEFINITELY POSSIBLE...

oops... caps...

Donor:
Gold: 12885.33
Clan: HoD II

us.gif

Warn:

Post#12 Posted: 16 Jan 2010 02:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_pillo wrote:
Braindead wrote:

I cant verify the gaining weight but the volcanic activity is slowing, but the issue is. only the super volcanoes are staying very active. such as yellowstone and mt st helen. not to mention there was recently a volcano opened a fissure in the earth.

Well, they say in 2012 the world will end.

Nasa, and the Mayans knew.
December 21, 2012 will be the year, due to asteroids and hotspots there will be an Apocalypse.
It will cause a shift in the rotation of the earth after that day causing it to lose it's current orbit around the sun.. with a large amount of damage to the ozone the earth will lose a large potion of it's heat.
The earth will not warm up until after another 5126 years they will align again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Changes

There will be a Galactic Alignment on December 21, 2012

This date will be called time of "The Perfect Storm"

As doomsday scenarios go, it's got everything you could ask for: Ancient prophecies, a rogue planet, the reversal of Earth's magnetic poles - and a worldwide conspiracy to conceal the truth.

Come Dec. 21, 2012, you should be expecting something big.
Just look at Haiti with their earthquake for instance.

"We're seeing now, and will continue to see, more and more disasters, both man-made and natural," says the Maryland native, whose "official" Web site on the subject features a clock counting down to the end of the world as we know it.

Show here --> http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=12&day=21&year=2012&hour=11&min=11&sec=11&p0=0
Our solar system is part of a huge disc shaped collection of stars and planets called the Milky Way. We're located somewhere on the edge of the disc, slightly on top of the narrow disc. But very soon we'll be moving to the bottom of the disc. This change, from top to bottom, begins on December 21, 2012.

Yes, that's right. On the same day when our Sun is at it's solar maximum, something will happen that's never happened for thousands of eons of time -- the ecliptic of our solar system will intersect with the Galactic plane, called the "Galactic Equator" of the Milky Way! [see star chart].

If you imagine our solar system as a bunch of peas on a plate, with a huge meatball in the center, imagine the Milky Way as a city-size pizza with the "Guiness World Book Record Meatball" in its center!

Prior to December 2012 we have been drifting on the top of the pizza, never really able to see the bottom. The plate and pizza are not parallel. They are moving at different angles. We've been drifting down, down, down... and on December 21st, 2012, we will be exactly level with the crust -- forming an "x" at the Galactic Equator where galactic gravity is the strongest. After 2012, if we are still here, we will be passing through the bottom zone, viewing the Milky Way pizza from the South.

Is all this true ? are there any facts to support this ?
Take a look back at August 15, 2006: On July 31st, a tiny sunspot was born. It popped up from the sun's interior, floated around a bit, and vanished again in a few hours. On the sun this sort of thing happens all the time and, ordinarily, it wouldn't be worth mentioning. But this sunspot was special: It was backward.

So perhaps we should believe in "cosmic winter solstice"

The underlying facts are conclusive, shit can happen.
Who will be around to witness these events....
All of us reading this now can bare witness to this day, Will tales/studies/research/prophecies told though history prove to be false ?

Also, at this time of alignment a comet will hit Jupiter and Jupiter will become a Sun.

Then an additional Asteroid loops back and theoretically destroys the earth completely in 2036.
we have something like a 1/1000 chance of it hitting in 2036.

Don't forget to pray to God, and read Mathew chapter 24 to see what Jesus had to say about it.
The Lord will provide right ?
Mathew 24 here -->http://biblenotes.homestead.com/files/MT24.htm

Link

If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.

Click to Join HOD
E-Mail: Cinemax@D3jsp.org

Verification info. Click Here
the_pillo
The Magnificent

Donor:

us.gif

Warn:

Post#13 Posted: 16 Jan 2010 03:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is some pretty heavy stuff there. very interesting

Braindead
Swedish guy

Group: Graphics Artist
Donor:
Gold: 4735.50
Clan: Truth

sw.gif

Warn:

Graphics Artist

Post#14 Posted: 16 Jan 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, just like the blackhole creating particle accelerator, these are just theories. And unless you already read it, this is what paid and educated astronomy scientists at nasa has to say about it: http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html
Wether it the truth or they just covering it up to prevent panic, I wouldn't tell. And as far as the snowball therory goes, it seems to me more likely to cause end to the world as we know it rather then 2012. Interesting nevertheless.

Last edited by Braindead on 16 Jan 2010 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

NO YOU
rukia

Gold: 6.00

Warn:

Post#15 Posted: 15 Feb 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinemax wrote:
the_pillo wrote:
Braindead wrote:

Well, they say in 2012 the world will end.

Nasa, and the Mayans knew.
December 21, 2012 will be the year, due to asteroids and hotspots there will be an Apocalypse.
It will cause a shift in the rotation of the earth after that day causing it to lose it's current orbit around the sun.. with a large amount of damage to the ozone the earth will lose a large potion of it's heat.
The earth will not warm up until after another 5126 years they will align again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_Changes

There will be a Galactic Alignment on December 21, 2012

This date will be called time of "The Perfect Storm"

As doomsday scenarios go, it's got everything you could ask for: Ancient prophecies, a rogue planet, the reversal of Earth's magnetic poles - and a worldwide conspiracy to conceal the truth.

Come Dec. 21, 2012, you should be expecting something big.
Just look at Haiti with their earthquake for instance.

"We're seeing now, and will continue to see, more and more disasters, both man-made and natural," says the Maryland native, whose "official" Web site on the subject features a clock counting down to the end of the world as we know it.

Show here --> http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=12&day=21&year=2012&hour=11&min=11&sec=11&p0=0
Our solar system is part of a huge disc shaped collection of stars and planets called the Milky Way. We're located somewhere on the edge of the disc, slightly on top of the narrow disc. But very soon we'll be moving to the bottom of the disc. This change, from top to bottom, begins on December 21, 2012.

Yes, that's right. On the same day when our Sun is at it's solar maximum, something will happen that's never happened for thousands of eons of time -- the ecliptic of our solar system will intersect with the Galactic plane, called the "Galactic Equator" of the Milky Way! [see star chart].

If you imagine our solar system as a bunch of peas on a plate, with a huge meatball in the center, imagine the Milky Way as a city-size pizza with the "Guiness World Book Record Meatball" in its center!

Prior to December 2012 we have been drifting on the top of the pizza, never really able to see the bottom. The plate and pizza are not parallel. They are moving at different angles. We've been drifting down, down, down... and on December 21st, 2012, we will be exactly level with the crust -- forming an "x" at the Galactic Equator where galactic gravity is the strongest. After 2012, if we are still here, we will be passing through the bottom zone, viewing the Milky Way pizza from the South.

Is all this true ? are there any facts to support this ?
Take a look back at August 15, 2006: On July 31st, a tiny sunspot was born. It popped up from the sun's interior, floated around a bit, and vanished again in a few hours. On the sun this sort of thing happens all the time and, ordinarily, it wouldn't be worth mentioning. But this sunspot was special: It was backward.

So perhaps we should believe in "cosmic winter solstice"

The underlying facts are conclusive, shit can happen.
Who will be around to witness these events....
All of us reading this now can bare witness to this day, Will tales/studies/research/prophecies told though history prove to be false ?

Also, at this time of alignment a comet will hit Jupiter and Jupiter will become a Sun.

Then an additional Asteroid loops back and theoretically destroys the earth completely in 2036.
we have something like a 1/1000 chance of it hitting in 2036.

Don't forget to pray to God, and read Mathew chapter 24 to see what Jesus had to say about it.
The Lord will provide right ?
Mathew 24 here -->http://biblenotes.homestead.com/files/MT24.htm

Link

not even death can save you from 2012

Gold: 45.47
Clan: Cult

zi.gif

Warn:

Post#16 Posted: 24 Feb 2010 05:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it will come faster than global warning

1 Members: Guest
Post new topic  Reply to topic  d3jsp Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: