Play Legend of the Green Dragon Play BNT Play Promisance Play Alien Assault Traders Play Quantum Star Play Some Chess  
   D3jsp RPGRPG   ArcadeArcade   Multiplayer PokerD3Jsp Poker   FAQ/RulesFAQ/Rules  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   ChatroomLive Chat   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 

Optimized MF Hammerdin Build
1, 2  Next

Post new topic  Reply to topic  d3jsp Forum Index -> Diablo II Discussion -> Builds Guides
View previous topic :: View next topic ::  

treezzzzz

Group: Scammer
Gold: Locked
Clan: Transformers

us.gif

Warn:

<b><font color=red>Scammer</font></b>

Post#1 Posted: 23 Mar 2007 02:34 pm    Post subject: Optimized MF Hammerdin Build Reply with quote

First of all, you may be thinking: "why a hammerdin? hammerdin doesnt achieve high mf without becoming totally gimp! I want to make a sorceress for mfing"

Many people live under the delusion that a hammerdin cannot achieve high mf at all and will become totally gimp if it tries to do so. However, one of the best mf spots of all time, the chaos sanctuary, can prove a nightmare for any sorceress, with element immunities left and right and iron maiden to kill the precious infinity merc. However, with this build, you can chaos with ease and still find great items.

Of course needless to say you should lvl to 85-ish before you spend any stats then put just enough str to wear your gear and just enough dex to achieve maximum block; and for skills you should put in points to all the normal hammerdin skills (max hammers, vigor, blessed aim, concentration, 1 into redeption, 1 into all prerequisites, rest into holy shield etc).

Using this setup, the hammerdin hits 550-600 mf and still has 80% fcr (enough for the 75 breakpoint), max block, 3k life, and 10k hammer damage (which is enough to kill almost all monsters in 2 hits anyways in a one player game). Remember that having high mf is only relevent if you are the one getting the last hit, so most of the time you will be in a game with few players. Of course notice that if you were truly devoted you could craft an ammy with stats, 5% or more fcr, and mf, and achieve even more mf by replacing the fcr ring with another nagel, but I haven't seen any ammies fitting that description so far and use a 10% fcr ring with mf instead. Now it is true that this build does not hit any fhr breakpoint, but rest assured that fhr is really not very important in mfing. Through the countless mf runs that I have done, I have seen that fhr is really only a luxury and unless you suck there is no run that requires you to have it. If it is your preference to have some, then just replace a couple mf sc's with fhr sc's and be done, but there is not real necessity that demands fhr. My current hammerdin has 0% fhr, and does not get owned while teleing to chaos/baal/meph and is able to recover and keep hammering before monsters can land a second hit in almost all cases; the high defense and block that comes with holy shield makes fhr very very optional. I can easily solo all the mf spots including chaos/trav/baal/nilathak without gettting destroyed unless there is a lag spike, in which case even the best fhr cannot save you. Remember also that your aura has a 20% chance to let you hammer uninteruppted even if you get hit during casting.

Now that you have seen what my build looks like, I will proceed to justify my gear decisions.

Many people tend to try to build their mf hammerdin using a setup that maintains most of the normal gear (hoto, magefist, etc) and only tweak a little bit such as ist runes in the socketed items, mf charms, and nagelrings, and occasionally such oddities as ali-baba, gull dagger, or ist'd crystal swords (these latter ones create crippling weaknesses in your character as you will no longer cast hammers fast enough to chaos/baal efficiently by yourself). Using a setup with essentially the same gear as any other hammerdin is a big inefficiency and a huge mistake for a mfing char. We introduce inefficeincy on several levels: the removal of the um runes creates a hole in our resistances that weakens us knights that cast lower resist and elemental monsters such as souls (esp ones unique ones aura enchanted with conviction), the removal of the sojs lowers our mana and reduces endurance while teleing (this guide assumes that you do not cheat, as if you cheat you might as well just bot anyways; or go watch television because you remove the thinking involved in playing the game and at least television has greater variety). Just as you wouldn't put on bvc gear and try to make a hammerdin, you SHOULDN'T put on traditional or dueling gear and try to make an mf-din; and tweaking optimized builds tends to create holes that leave much to be desired. Now you may point out that each gear choice only increases the mf by a bit and that inefficiency will not result in a huge difference since the enigma itself gives so much, but each small part counts and adds up. You will be mfing many, many games in order to find godly stuff and trade material, and each point of inefficiency is magnified hundredfold, even thousandfold over the course of your mfing runs. I suspect that many will condemn my build as sucking when compared to one that uses hoto/magefiust, but I also suspect that those people have not actually given my build very much testing or, for that matter, much thought even; however, I HAVE tested both setups and have found this latter one to be far superior. Every extra mf counts, and I have personally witnessed how my old hammerdin at 300-ish mf finds only on average 1-2 grand charms in a chaos run, while my new model finds up to 4-5 per run (I use charms in chaos runs because godly charms are a much-sought-after item and finding more gives you a greater chance to find a godly one, and chaosing is the natural mf spot for a hammerdin, as he is able to take full advantage of his vs undead bonus as well as redemption).

First of all, a gear choice that involves magefist is not going to cut it, because it neglects one of the larges and most efficeint mf boosts that you can get from a single swap: the exchange of only 20% fcr for 40% mf in chance guards. You dont lose a singel skill point and gain vast mf. Now of course you are below the fcr breakpoint. What happen? I use an ist's wizardspike to compensate. At this point you may well ask: "Jim are you smoking crack? +3 skills is huge! you will do so little damage and you're exchanging it for a measly 30% mf!". True, +3 skill is indeed a massive ~2.5k damage loss, BUT in this case, if you think carefully, Ist'd wizzardspike achieves 3 subtle goals for us: (1) it gives us mana enough to forgo the sojs while still being able to tele to high-end mf places such as baal, mephisto, andy, and the like, (2) it gives us MASSIVE resistances that allows us to replace the UM runes in our hoz and shako without dying to souls and other elemental damage monsters, (3) it allows us to achieve requisite faster cast for the replacement of the magefists. Although each individually trivial, these three factors add up to TREMENDOUS mfing power for the wizardspike and renders it a weapon that we cannot do without. The wizardspike gives us +30% mf on the wizzardspike's ist, +40% from ability to use chance guards, +40-55% from replacing an soj and an fcr ring with mf (these can range from 10% mf to a whopping 25%, depending on how hard you look and how much you are willing to spend), and another 30% from using 2 ist runes in our shako and hoz instead of ums. Now at this point you may say well i can use the ist's and nagels anyways with hoto/magefist setup, but then you are losing buffness against elemental mobs and ability to tele without jubbing or going to town; remember that although we would like to optimize our mf, we must not allow the mf to render the character itself impotent and unable to kill mf monsters quickly and efficiently, as that equates to less mf runs finished and less items found. Now for the charms, 7% mfscs are relatively cheap and are a MUST for good mfing, as using 28 of them gives us 196% mf, a force to be reckoned with. The small pause in hitting "i", clicking the item, and putting it in your cube when you happen to find a good one is made up for by having immense mf. Remember that mf works through brute force of running vast numbers of games rather than finding a lot of good items quickly, so the times you will have to do this is not as often as you think, takes less time than you think, and trips to town can be remedied by carrying an ID tome and seeing if the item is any good on the spot.

Join Clan Transformers Today!! (links below)
Clan Forums Recruitment Thread
ChaNgeD

Group: Members

Warn:

Post#2 Posted: 29 Mar 2007 09:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess alrite guide but you should make it more organized instead of hughe paragraphs :/ hard to read
treezzzzz

us.gif

Warn:

Post#3 Posted: 03 Apr 2007 09:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaNgeD wrote:
I guess alrite guide but you should make it more organized instead of hughe paragraphs :/ hard to read

all you need to read is look at the s/s of my build if you want to make the char. the huge paragraphs are just details explaining my design choices and are really only useful if you are feeling curious or doubtful

edit - i have gotten a better ring to replace the nagel. it's a rather uncommon magic ring called the "fortuitous ring of fortune", and can have up to 40% mf.

Last edited by treezzzzz on 03 Apr 2007 09:17 am; edited 1 time in total

iIntrigue

Group: Retired Moderators
Gold: 343.82

Warn:

Retired Moderators

Post#4 Posted: 03 Apr 2007 09:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nice guide Treezzzz tongue I like it smile

On the other hand, If you're truly mfing u should have at least 4 columns free of items IMO... I'd even take 8 lol making u loose loads of MF :\

treezzzzz

us.gif

Warn:

Post#5 Posted: 03 Apr 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquaphire wrote:

On the other hand, If you're truly mfing u should have at least 4 columns free of items IMO... I'd even take 8 lol making u loose loads of MF :\

you can just stick stuff in your cube it doesnt slow you down by very much. also it's not really that bad loads of mf since the charms are the most inefficient source of your mf anyways.

Evilution

Gold: 2.75
Clan: D3JSP

Warn:

Post#6 Posted: 04 Apr 2007 06:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good work on the guide but imo i prefer to just have 250-300mf since (at least in my experience) more mf than this doesnt really help

AngeLexia

Gold: 41.09

us.gif

Warn:

Post#7 Posted: 04 Apr 2007 06:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treezzzzz wrote:
Aquaphire wrote:

you can just stick stuff in your cube it doesnt slow you down by very much. also it's not really that bad loads of mf since the charms are the most inefficient source of your mf anyways.

that was what I thought first where does the stuff go? then on second thought, cube has 12 spaces, the inventory I usually just use 8 spaces tongue, good guide though

Rules
Warn Faq
treezzzzz

us.gif

Warn:

Post#8 Posted: 13 Apr 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilution wrote:
good work on the guide but imo i prefer to just have 250-300mf since (at least in my experience) more mf than this doesnt really help

well my old build had about 350 or so mf and now i usually find twice as many stuff. just a person opinion you are entitled to yours as well

AngeLexia wrote:
treezzzzz wrote:
Aquaphire wrote:

that was what I thought first where does the stuff go? then on second thought, cube has 12 spaces, the inventory I usually just use 8 spaces tongue, good guide though

cool glad you like it. gonna try it out sometime?

ToMMiE

Gold: 0.00

Warn:

Post#9 Posted: 14 Jan 2008 09:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

godly mfadin guide.
Kerm

us.gif

Warn:

Post#10 Posted: 14 Jan 2008 09:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree very nice Guide.

Last edited by Kerm on 14 Jan 2008 09:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Njaguar2k8

Gold: 3.50

us.gif

Warn:

Post#11 Posted: 09 Jun 2008 07:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cheesy guide..

i never see any guide w/ differen builds
treezzzzz

us.gif

Warn:

Post#12 Posted: 15 Jun 2008 06:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Njaguar2k8 wrote:
very cheesy guide..

most builds dont use this setup. also pose a better one if you think mine is bad.

Kerm

us.gif

Warn:

Post#13 Posted: 15 Jun 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treezzzzz wrote:
Njaguar2k8 wrote:
very cheesy guide..

most builds dont use this setup. also pose a better one if you think mine is bad.

Lol for real don't criticize everybody else's unless you can make a better one.

NiCK

Gold: 5.50
Clan: Zero Tolerance

Warn:

Post#14 Posted: 30 Jun 2008 05:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Optimized MF Hammerdin Build Reply with quote

treezzzzz wrote:
First of all, you may be thinking: "why a hammerdin? hammerdin doesnt achieve high mf without becoming totally gimp! I want to make a sorceress for mfing"

Many people live under the delusion that a hammerdin cannot achieve high mf at all and will become totally gimp if it tries to do so. However, one of the best mf spots of all time, the chaos sanctuary, can prove a nightmare for any sorceress, with element immunities left and right and iron maiden to kill the precious infinity merc. However, with this build, you can chaos with ease and still find great items.

Of course needless to say you should lvl to 85-ish before you spend any stats then put just enough str to wear your gear and just enough dex to achieve maximum block; and for skills you should put in points to all the normal hammerdin skills (max hammers, vigor, blessed aim, concentration, 1 into redeption, 1 into all prerequisites, rest into holy shield etc).

Using this setup, the hammerdin hits 550-600 mf and still has 80% fcr (enough for the 75 breakpoint), max block, 3k life, and 10k hammer damage (which is enough to kill almost all monsters in 2 hits anyways in a one player game). Remember that having high mf is only relevent if you are the one getting the last hit, so most of the time you will be in a game with few players. Of course notice that if you were truly devoted you could craft an ammy with stats, 5% or more fcr, and mf, and achieve even more mf by replacing the fcr ring with another nagel, but I haven't seen any ammies fitting that description so far and use a 10% fcr ring with mf instead. Now it is true that this build does not hit any fhr breakpoint, but rest assured that fhr is really not very important in mfing. Through the countless mf runs that I have done, I have seen that fhr is really only a luxury and unless you suck there is no run that requires you to have it. If it is your preference to have some, then just replace a couple mf sc's with fhr sc's and be done, but there is not real necessity that demands fhr. My current hammerdin has 0% fhr, and does not get owned while teleing to chaos/baal/meph and is able to recover and keep hammering before monsters can land a second hit in almost all cases; the high defense and block that comes with holy shield makes fhr very very optional. I can easily solo all the mf spots including chaos/trav/baal/nilathak without gettting destroyed unless there is a lag spike, in which case even the best fhr cannot save you. Remember also that your aura has a 20% chance to let you hammer uninteruppted even if you get hit during casting.

Now that you have seen what my build looks like, I will proceed to justify my gear decisions.

Many people tend to try to build their mf hammerdin using a setup that maintains most of the normal gear (hoto, magefist, etc) and only tweak a little bit such as ist runes in the socketed items, mf charms, and nagelrings, and occasionally such oddities as ali-baba, gull dagger, or ist'd crystal swords (these latter ones create crippling weaknesses in your character as you will no longer cast hammers fast enough to chaos/baal efficiently by yourself). Using a setup with essentially the same gear as any other hammerdin is a big inefficiency and a huge mistake for a mfing char. We introduce inefficeincy on several levels: the removal of the um runes creates a hole in our resistances that weakens us knights that cast lower resist and elemental monsters such as souls (esp ones unique ones aura enchanted with conviction), the removal of the sojs lowers our mana and reduces endurance while teleing (this guide assumes that you do not cheat, as if you cheat you might as well just bot anyways; or go watch television because you remove the thinking involved in playing the game and at least television has greater variety). Just as you wouldn't put on bvc gear and try to make a hammerdin, you SHOULDN'T put on traditional or dueling gear and try to make an mf-din; and tweaking optimized builds tends to create holes that leave much to be desired. Now you may point out that each gear choice only increases the mf by a bit and that inefficiency will not result in a huge difference since the enigma itself gives so much, but each small part counts and adds up. You will be mfing many, many games in order to find godly stuff and trade material, and each point of inefficiency is magnified hundredfold, even thousandfold over the course of your mfing runs. I suspect that many will condemn my build as sucking when compared to one that uses hoto/magefiust, but I also suspect that those people have not actually given my build very much testing or, for that matter, much thought even; however, I HAVE tested both setups and have found this latter one to be far superior. Every extra mf counts, and I have personally witnessed how my old hammerdin at 300-ish mf finds only on average 1-2 grand charms in a chaos run, while my new model finds up to 4-5 per run (I use charms in chaos runs because godly charms are a much-sought-after item and finding more gives you a greater chance to find a godly one, and chaosing is the natural mf spot for a hammerdin, as he is able to take full advantage of his vs undead bonus as well as redemption).

First of all, a gear choice that involves magefist is not going to cut it, because it neglects one of the larges and most efficeint mf boosts that you can get from a single swap: the exchange of only 20% fcr for 40% mf in chance guards. You dont lose a singel skill point and gain vast mf. Now of course you are below the fcr breakpoint. What happen? I use an ist's wizardspike to compensate. At this point you may well ask: "Jim are you smoking crack? +3 skills is huge! you will do so little damage and you're exchanging it for a measly 30% mf!". True, +3 skill is indeed a massive ~2.5k damage loss, BUT in this case, if you think carefully, Ist'd wizzardspike achieves 3 subtle goals for us: (1) it gives us mana enough to forgo the sojs while still being able to tele to high-end mf places such as baal, mephisto, andy, and the like, (2) it gives us MASSIVE resistances that allows us to replace the UM runes in our hoz and shako without dying to souls and other elemental damage monsters, (3) it allows us to achieve requisite faster cast for the replacement of the magefists. Although each individually trivial, these three factors add up to TREMENDOUS mfing power for the wizardspike and renders it a weapon that we cannot do without. The wizardspike gives us +30% mf on the wizzardspike's ist, +40% from ability to use chance guards, +40-55% from replacing an soj and an fcr ring with mf (these can range from 10% mf to a whopping 25%, depending on how hard you look and how much you are willing to spend), and another 30% from using 2 ist runes in our shako and hoz instead of ums. Now at this point you may say well i can use the ist's and nagels anyways with hoto/magefist setup, but then you are losing buffness against elemental mobs and ability to tele without jubbing or going to town; remember that although we would like to optimize our mf, we must not allow the mf to render the character itself impotent and unable to kill mf monsters quickly and efficiently, as that equates to less mf runs finished and less items found. Now for the charms, 7% mfscs are relatively cheap and are a MUST for good mfing, as using 28 of them gives us 196% mf, a force to be reckoned with. The small pause in hitting "i", clicking the item, and putting it in your cube when you happen to find a good one is made up for by having immense mf. Remember that mf works through brute force of running vast numbers of games rather than finding a lot of good items quickly, so the times you will have to do this is not as often as you think, takes less time than you think, and trips to town can be remedied by carrying an ID tome and seeing if the item is any good on the spot.

oh geezz i had one of these on ladder last season xD
nightmare100

Gold: 6.00

Warn:

Post#15 Posted: 07 Aug 2008 09:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide but make sure you have room in ur stash -.-picking up drops will be a pain in the neck.
nightmare100

Gold: 6.00

Warn:

Post#16 Posted: 07 Aug 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide but make sure you have room in ur stash -.-picking up drops will be a pain in the neck.
Raph

Gold: 3.50
Clan: HoD II

ca.gif

Warn:

Post#17 Posted: 07 Aug 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice guide bro,

Crai

Warn:

Post#18 Posted: 07 Aug 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every hdin uses same build..
nothing new
treezzzzz

us.gif

Warn:

Post#19 Posted: 06 Jan 2009 07:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like the picture is broken.

here's a new one:

Littletroll

Donor:
Gold: 4361.80
Clan: HoD II

us.gif

Warn:

Post#20 Posted: 07 Jan 2009 09:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

treezzzzz wrote:
seems like the picture is broken.

here's a new one:

you could free up 2 more spots by taking out the tp tome and putting a row of tp's on your belt ... you dont rlly need 4 slots of pots and by using the belt you can instacast a tp without switching skill/opening inv to do so

1 Members: Guest
Post new topic  Reply to topic  d3jsp Forum Index -> Diablo II Discussion -> Builds Guides All times are GMT - 4 Hours
1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: